Zach’s Tips: Thoughts from a 10-year old 11-time 5K runner
I am 10 years old and just graduated from 5th grade. My mom and stepfather love to run, so I wanted to try it to. I started off with 1/4 mile, then 1/2 mile, then 1 mile then 5Ks. I try to improve each time I run. My record for a 5K is 36:43, and my second record is 39:55, which I just did at the Valley Cats Father’s Day 5K in June 2015.
- Don’t wear black when it’s really hot out — it will attract heat and might slow you down.
- If you get hot, pour water on your head. This will help.
- After a run or race, drink Gatorade replace the “energy” you lost from running.
- Have pasta the night before a race. This will give you energy.
- When you feel like walking, just do a slow jog — it will be faster.